Now that I am out of school for the Summer I have time to take on a project that i have been putting off for SEVERAL years. We had a bad leak in the front bathroom when the proch roof leaked. I have been dreading this job and putting it off with any excuse. This month I decided it was time to "just do it!"
I ripped out the old ceiling which was some kind of pressed fiber board - that was THE nastiest job i have done in restoring this old house. NASTY!
Once the old ceiling was ripped out and cleaned up I put up a nice thick layer of insulation. The electrician came, rewired the room, and put in four lights!
I decided that real bead board was the best choice for me to put the ceiling back in place because the room is small and i don't think i could have fit sheets of anything above my head in that tight space. The bead board took a while but really wasn't that hard. Fitting the boards around the round light openings was very hard.
I think the ceiling turned out good and strong - i don't think i'll have to worry about that ceiling falling down again!
I then had to remove the wall paper border that was apparently super glued to uppermost edge of the wall. Several large pieces came off - but most were the size of postage stamps - again - a nasty job.
I put up two types of crown molding around the edge - all i can say is thank God for caulking! that was the hardest thing i have ever done - i have done base molding - but crown molding is much harder for some reason.
Next comes the painting - which i love -
the ceiling and trim will all be bright white and i'm thinking powdery green or yellow for the walls -
i'll keep you posted.