This is what is left out front. I am starting to get the house ready to sell. So a little curb appeal is defintely in order, don't you think?
Here's the right hand side.
So I decided it was time to start some beds.I've been saving large cardboard boxes at school all Winter long. I used the garden hose (hose pipe ya'll) and formed a pleasing curve, but a curve that's also easy to cut around with a lawn mower. This bed is bigger than it looks, short side is 8 feet wide and the long side is maybe 16 feet to the curve.
It took a lot of cardboard. It was amazing how much I saved, and how fast it was used up.
Here's the final shape. I think I like it.
Next I covered all the cardboard with a heavy layer of course sand.
The last step I could get done Saturday was to cover everything with a thick layer of top soil. Monday we are going back up. (it's about an hour away from us here)
This is the finished bed - without its newspaper layers, more topsoil, and the finishing touch of pinestraw. I should be good and sore Monday night.
Here is a picture of a rose from the backyard at Mama's house. Daddy had planted a row of red climbing roses across the back line of the yard. his goal was to have a blooming row of roses just like the school we all went to. The school was built in the 1930's by the CCC I think and did have beautiful roses all along the fence at the front of the school yard. I really can't believe they still keep going, I have done nothing to help them along. It makes me happy to think that these are Daddy's roses.