Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Finished border at Mama's House - technical problems

     I forgot my camera so I had to use my phone to take these photos. Now I can't figure out how to flip them so they look right.
First photo shows slight burm formed from ten bags of topsoil.
 Second photo shows newspaper and pinestraw layers going in.
 Final photo shows the finished product and gives you a better sense of how big this bed is.
     Right now I envision some red Knock-Out Roses near the steps. I am thinking an upright boxwood at the corner of the steps and the house. I have several Pink Perfection Camelias I would like to put out near the curve of the bed to be a large accent on the corners of the house. They get pretty big so I don't want to put them too close to the house. 
     I am not going to be planting anything now because I would not be able to keep anything alive long distance through the hot Summer months. Come Fall I will start thinking about a planting plan again.
     Once school lets out I will be starting all over again on the other side of the steps. It will not be easy, but it is going to be a thinner border so not as hard as this bed ended up being. (I hope)
     Meanwhile back here at Pinewood Cottage this is Spring Break for us. Today we attacked the bamboo invading the back and side yard from the neighbor's yard. It was a cool morning and we got every bit of it we could.
Thanks for stopping by and reading.
David

1 comment:

  1. You asked about Oakleaf Hydrangea. I don't know how they feel about wet feet, mine have good drainage. What I do know is they get really big. You probably don't want to put one so close to a building that it gets a drenching, it will be too crowded. A sucker that I put in a bed quickly grew to six feet tall and wide and still growing. They tend to throw suckers, too. They're best suited for outlying beds or specimen plants, not near a structure.

    ReplyDelete